Top 12 albums of 2013
01) Local Natives ‘Hummingbird’
02) White Lies ‘Big TV’
03) Ra Ra Riot ‘Beta Love’
04) Guards ‘In Guards We Trust’
05) Phoenix ‘Bankrupt!’
06) Frightened Rabbit ‘Pedestrian Verse’
07) Daughter ‘If You Leave’
08) Bastille ‘Bad Blood’
09) Daft Punk ‘Random Access Memories’
10) Cheetahs ‘Extended Plays’
11) Low ‘The Invisible Way’
12) Surfer Blood ‘Pythons’
What I’m looking forward to in 2014? A new album and tour from one of my favorite bands, Mogwai, and another slate of Live in the Lab sessions on RadioBDC!
Jesse Brackenbury, Chief Operating Officer, Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy
(The Rose Kennedy Greenway is a mile-and-a-half of contemporary parks in the heart of Boston. The Greenway, a roof garden atop a highway tunnel, connects people and the city with beauty and fun. The non-profit Conservancy maintains, programs, and improves the Greenway on behalf of the public and in partnership with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.)
The Greenway’s Top 10 in 2013 includes great accomplishments and fun recognition:
1. In winter, we landed a $1.5M gift from The Tiffany & Co. Foundation that completed the capital campaign for the Greenway Carousel and began construction. We opened Labor Day weekend, on-time and on-budget. The Carousel—the most accessible in New England—features animals native to Boston (cod, lobster, skunk, and 10 more) instead of horses. It has become a landmark destination already, with attendance exceeding our expectations.
2. In the spring, our staff renovated the signature Rings Fountain, moving 100,000 pounds of pavers to fix hundreds of pipes, shooters, lights and more.
3. In May, the Greenway welcomed Roxy’s and other Boston food trucks who defeated their NYC counterparts at the second Food Truck Throwdown. The Throwdown was one of 370+ free eventsheld on the Greenway in 2013.
4. Also in May, we held our most important fundraising event, the Greenway Gala, in the park for the first time. Hundreds of attendees helped the Conservancy raises hundreds of thousand dollars to support our non-profit’s maintenance, programming, and improvement of the park.
5. In July, we were delighted to begin caring for the Armenian Heritage Park through a competitively awarded 3-year contract with the Armenian Heritage Foundation.
6. In September, we welcomed the new Matthew Ritchie mural and said goodbye to the Os Gemeos mural on the Greenway Wall at Dewey Square Park. These murals are part of the Greenway Conservancy’s strategy of temporary exhibitions of contemporary public art.
7. This year, we received over 3000 hours of volunteer help, ten-times the amount of just 3 years ago. Come volunteer to contribute to the stewardship of the park and learn about our organic practices from our horticulture staff.
In recognition of our work:
8. We won a Greenovate award from Mayor Menino for our innovative sustainability practices. The Greenway is Boston’s only organically maintained public park and one of a handful of organically maintained urban parks in the United States. And the Greenway Conservancy was named one of Boston’s leading environmental organizations by GreatNonProfits.org on the strength of reviews by the public.
9. We were honored as one of Boston’s “50 on Fire” for Arts & Entertainment by BostInno. Thisarticle and video includes other winners, such as Mei Mei Street Kitchen and the ICA.
10. The Boston Globe named the Greenway the “People’s Park” in a glowing front page article – and that was before the Globe’s front page coverage of the Greenway Carousel, Matthew Ritchie mural, and Celebrity Series pianos.
In 2014, we’ll continue with organic care, 300+ free annual events, food trucks, Greenway Carousel, and public art. In the new year we’re looking for new people to join us in creating fun and beauty on the Greenway – see our Jobs page.
Food Truck Jesus/Party Man Awesome
My top 10 record releases from 2013:
1.Acid Rap- Chance The Rapper
2.Negativity- Deer Tick
3.L’Ami Du Peuple- Owen
4.Reflektor- Arcade Fire
5.Blowout- The So So Glos
6.20/20 Experience Pt. I- Justin Timberlake
7.Blur the Line- Those Darlins
8.Talon Of The Hawk- The Front Bottoms
9.Paradise Valley- John Mayer
10.Trap Lord- A$AP Ferg
Looking forward to in 2014:
Cope- Manchester Orchestra
Flockaveli II- Waka Flocka Flame
Fly International Luxurious Art- Raekwon
The Grand Budapest Hotel (Film)
Dumb And Dumber To (Film)
Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (Film)
Name: Patrick Gaggiano
Claim to Fame: Master of Ceremonies at Fairsted Kitchen
So here’s what I loved about this year:
Fatty Crab in NYC (Meat Packing District) – best meal I had all year – quail egg shooters stuffed with 4 various fillings, spiciest to least spicy. Insane – also the tequila here flows like water and the bartenders are the most friendly and kick ass in the city.
Bangerz – no explanation needed. It’s the god damn sequel to the Beatles White Album. Every song better than the next. And if you disagree than you are un-American and no friend of mine good sir. And Miley Cyrus turned 21 – so I’m convinced she will walk into the bar any night now.
Homeland is back – thank god. I definitely don’t watch the real news so this is the next best thing into thinking I am actually up to date on current events.
Honestly thats about the entirety of what I remember from 2013 – so I’m looking forward to rehab for 2014.
Name: Kevin Merriam
Claim to Fame: Roxy’s Crew/Stoughton Straight Edge
Top 10 (in no particular order): Fest ’13, getting hired at Roxy’s, putting out the Maura record, Mei Mei’s porridge, Drake – Nothing Was The Same, getting tattoo’d by Franz Stefanik, eating at Sweet P’s Barbecue in Knoxville, The National – Trouble Will Find Me, seeing AFI, buying my Fuji Feather
2014: Opening the Roxy’s restaurant, getting tattoo’d by traveling tattoers, putting out a new Maura record, eating more awesome food.
-general manager, bartender, hospitality ninja at Trina’s Starlite Lounge
-favorite things of 2013:
-i went to vieques and san juan for a week with ten of my drunkin besties to celebrate my 30th. it was epic, to say the least
-i have successfully brought the espresso martini back from the dead. i made it my new years resolution last year
-one big ass snow storm happened last winter, and my homies at roxy’s took over the kitchen. it was epic.
-i shaved my head in support of a friend and co-worker going through chemo. it was beyond liberating.
-i rescued two cats off of the street and named them chicken and waffle. they’re a mother daughter duo, and super cute, and mostly retarded. waffle has 6 toes on each paw and chicken just got an abortion.
-my parents adopted a teenager from burundi, and she’s totally awesome.
-i started a sex book book group. we haven’t met yet, but it’s already hilarious
-state park opened last week, and i have a feeling it’s going to be one of my most favorite bars. finally, someone opened a bar that’s meant to be a bar
-i worked all of cedric’s wednesday shifts at silvertone, with michael stevens, for a month! silvertone is my favorite bar, and michael and cedric are two of my favorite bartenders in the city
-i pushed evan harrison into a snow bank he was peeing in as he was peeing.
i look forward to:
-having more hilarious moments and vacations with my ridiculously awesome friends
-making starlite bigger and better than ever
-having more home cooked meals
-spending as time on a beach as possible
-not taking anything too serious – laugh as much as possible!